We all are well aware of how difficult 2020 has been because of the Covid pandemic. Throw on the stress related to recent social injustices and a Presidential Election year, and it’s downright hard not to let things get you down. So here are some ways to help you keep hope alive.
1. Get Some Rest. During challenging times, it’s important to make sure you are taking good of yourself. This includes making time for sleep and ensuring you are getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep on a regular basis. Don’t forget that your quality of sleep is as important as the quantity. If you notice that you are waking up often or wake up feeling unrefreshed after a full night of sleep, then it’s time to talk to your doctor. Sleep is an integral part of our health, because it can reduce stress, improve our mood, and improve our immunity.
2. Lean on Your Network. Our close relationships are a vital way to help manage stress, increase hopefulness, and forge a connection with others. Living in a time of social distancing shouldn’t mean we can’t be social. It means we have to be do it in a responsible way. But spending time with family, close friends and relatives, and others helps us to support one another. It’s also a nice form of distraction during challenging times.
3. Laugh It Up! Laughing not only gets you feeling good, it’s good for you. Laughing releases stress and tension and improves mood. Laughing also releases positive hormones in our bodies that promote healing and well-being. Enjoy sharing jokes with friends and family, or enjoy watching a comedy show. Take time to laugh it up.
4. Now Move it. How could any list be complete without mentioning exercise, right? Yes, exercise is good for you in so many ways. It improves your physical, mental, and emotional wellness. Exercise helps to reduce stress and tension, and it releases endorphins which give you a sense of well-being. So whether you’re running a marathon or walking the dog, get up and move it. Your body and mind will thank you for it.
5. Speaking of Gratitude. Maintaining a positive mindset goes a long way. People who maintain a positive mindset are better able to handle the challenges of life, both good and bad. And a large part of having a positive mindset is having gratitude and self-awareness. Being thankful for your blessings and cherished joys is a great way to maintain a positive mindset. It reminds you that there is still so much hope for the future. So whatever challenges come your way, having gratitude and a positive mindset will ensure you have a greater chance of overcoming any obstacles in your way!